Eldhestars new brochure for 2017 can now be downloaded, please click here!
Our farm Vellir has changed a bit within the last years, and certainly a lot since the beginning of Eldhestar in 1986! Since 2008, we have added a new stable, the guesthouse, the riding hall, the new part of the restaurant and 10 new rooms.
In the first week of September, the constructors arrived again, but this time for the horses. The stable will be expanded, so more horses can be accommodated for training and courses during the winter season. The new stable with 12 new boxes and a spacious area for the farriers will be ready to use just in time for the beginning of the training season in December.
The summer season has ended with the last tour „Around the Volcano“ last week, and guests on the first winter tour „Northern Lights Grand Tour“ will arrive tomorrow. We enjoyed stunning Northern Lights and golden autumn days with sunshine and crisp air last week end, and expect this beautiful weather to continue for the whole week.
Most of our horses left for their well deserved vacation. It is such a joy to see their happiness when they step out of the trailer and realize that they are finally out on the endless fields again. Their colleaguses back home have a nice time on the „cozy field“, the large area around the hotel used for haymaking, and a sort of wellness area for our horses in September
This time of the year is exciting as we always take in our young horses. Ida teaches them the basics, and after their first steps with the rider the get to spend another year in freedom with the herd. Pictures will come soon!
Meanwhile, we are busy preparing next season with some tours getting quickly fully booked. Please contact us if you would like to reserve a spot, the availability list is regularly updated.
The brochure 2017 is ready and will be online by the end of the week!
Are you spontaneous and still looking for an adventure this summer?
We got a few spots released on our most popular tours, so the following departures are now available again:
Tour 19 Wilderness tour Sprengisandur, 6 days riding starting on July 6 (2 spots), see detailed description here.
Longer Tour 14 Golden Highlights of the South 7 days riding starting on August 19 (1 spot) and August 28 (2 spots), see detailed description here.
For information and booking please contact us!
The third Eldhestar Local staff competition took place in our riding hall on Saturday, April 23. This year we had 20 riders participating, many of them with new horses, some bought by Eldhestar and some owned by our staff members.
Each rider had to show a full loop in slow tölt, followed by a loop in slow tölt on the small sides and faster tölt on the long sides and finally high speed tölt. In the finals, this program had to be shown in both directions. Quite a challenging program, especially for those riders and horses who took part in a competition for the first time.
We had a great time training together, competing and enjoying delicious food á la Nico.
We congratulate the winner Anna Kronhed with her mare Dögg frá Strandarhjáleigu!
The results were the following:
1. Anna Kronhed (Sweden) / Dögg frá Strandarhjáleigu, owner Anna Kronhed, F: Sær frá Bakkakoti, 5,75
2-3. Marieke Huurenkamp (Netherlands) / Klettur frá Horni I, owner Eldhestar, F: Hamur frá Þóroddsstöðum, 5,50
2-3. Louisa Hansen (Denmark) / Brana frá Mosfellsbæ, owner Eldhestar, F: Álfasteinn frá Selfossi, 5,50
4. Simone Nielsen (Denmark) / Skörungur frá Kánastöðum, owner Eldhestar, F: Garpur frá Auðholtshjáleigu, 5,42
5. Jóhanna Bettý Durhuus (Iceland) / Steini frá Jórvík, owner Jóhanna Bettý Durhuus, F: Gnýr frá Árgerði, 4,75
6. Annina Wilhelm (Germany) Birna frá Ásbrú, owner Eldhestar, F: Ás frá Ásmóti, 5,50
7. Marianne Giesswein (Austria) / Sörli frá Sauðanesi, owner Irina Fjóla Jónsdóttir, F: Kjarkur frá Sauðanesi, 5,00
8. Lea Wiesendanger (Switzerland) / Ösp frá Grásteini, owner Eldhestar, F: Orri frá Þúfu, 4,58
9. Smári Sæmundsson (Iceland) / Saga frá Völlum, owner Smári Sæmundsson, F: Glóðar frá Reykjavik, 4,50
10. Corinna Frahm (Germany) / Gjósta frá Heiði, owner Corinna Frahm, F: Dynur frá Hvammi, 4,42
11. Atli Már Atlason (Iceland) / Seðill frá Flekkudal, owner Atli Már Atlason, F: Fáfnir frá Fagranesi
12. Sonja Weinberg (Germany) / Víðir frá Flagbjarnarholti, owner Eldhestar, F: Tónn frá Torfunesi
13. Yngve Söderstrand (Sweden) / Ör frá Strandarhjáleigu, owner Yngve Söderstrand, F: Þóroddur frá Þóroddsstöðum
14. Lisa Gerstenmeyer (Germany) / Finnur frá Hala, owner Eldhestar, F: Þytur frá Neðra-Seli
15. Johanna Nilsson (Denmark) / Peli frá Enni, owner Eldhestar, F: Kvistur frá Enni
16. Ida Lungnér (Denmark) / Breki frá Brúnum, owner Eldhestar, F: Ægir frá Móbergi
17. Martina Cervenková (Slovakia) / Ófelía frá Hurðarbaki, owner Eldhestar, F: Andvari frá Ey
18. Ida Thorborg (Denmark) / Hrist frá Völlum, owner Hróðmar Bjarnason, F: Þröstur frá Hvammi
19. Nicolas Gadanyi (Germany) / Geysir frá Velli II, owner Nicolas Gadanyi, F: Glæsir frá Litlu-Sandvík
Brigitte Baumgartner (Switzerland) /Huginn frá Völlum, owner Brigitte Baumgartner, F: Þröstur frá Hvammi
Spring has officially arrived in Iceland with the first golden plover, the bird marking the end of winter, spotted about two weeks ago, a bit late this year. This time when the birds return into awaking nature, causing the only, very welcome noise on the quiet, bright evenings is very special and great for riding along meadows and rivers surrounding Eldhestar.
The winter season is just about to come to an end with the last groups of the Northern Light Tours and the Winter Riding Course currently enjoying their stay at Eldhestar. We will continue to offer the Winter Riding Course with both a 3-day program and a 5-day program next season, the dates for can be found on the tour pages.
The last months were quite busy in the stable with daily riding tours, often in great winter weather and snow until mid March. Training of young horses and basic training of foals went very well and it will be interesting to see how the offspring of the relatively young breeding line of Eldhestar will do in the future. Now we are very much looking forward to welcoming this year’s folas! We will soon add information about the Eldhestar breeding and introduce the horses on our website.
As every year, many new tour horses will join our team in the summer season and we look forward to getting to know them better.
On Saturday, April 23 the third Eldhestar Local Tölt competition will take place in our riding hall. We expect even more participants then last year and interesting new horses as some of our staff members will compete on their own horses for the first time and we will see some youngsters from Eldhestar breeding as well. Of course visitors are welcome to cheer. The local riding club Ljúfur also uses our riding hall for competitions and a riding course for children this spring and summer, so there is often something going on at Eldhestar.
The construction work at Hotel Eldhestar will be finished soon with 10 new rooms opening on May 1st. In April we started introducing something which is becoming increasingly popular in Reykjavik but has not been known in South Iceland so far: Sunday Brunch! We were very happy to see how many Icelandic families with children visited us for the first brunch. Brunch will be offered until the end of May and again in September with the possibility of brunch & riding and horse riding for children.
While days are getting longer quickly and half of the winter is already over it is quite busy at Eldhestar, with many day visitors, guests on tour packages and groups of horses arriving and leaving for vacation. South Iceland has been covered with a white blanket of snow for most of the winter with beautiful cold, sunny days with powder snow and stunning Northern Lights in between.
In January, when horse life is getting interesting with most riders taking their horses in the stable, we always fill our stable with new horses, training horses and young ones. Unlike our furry herd outside they easily get too warm, so we shave them under the mane to give them some air condition. Besides the regular riding they spend some hours a day outside in the paddock and we often let them run a few kilometer to strengthen them and give them the opportunity to move freely, just like we do to prepare our tour horses. The herd enjoys the outdoors, either playing in the snow or cuddling tight together close to the solid wind shelter, with piles of hey.
Ida continues the training of Eldhestar’s really promising youngsters „frá Völlum“, perhaps a soon to be well known breeding name…? The youngest group went off to almost one year in freedom with the large herd, now she’s working with the horses which had their basic training last autumn. We are very happy with the offspring, some of them you might meet on tours while other will do well in competition or further breeding.
The new shape of Hotel Eldhestar is starting to look nice with construction work going very well despite of the long period of heavy snowfall. The interior work will soon be started and the first guests are scheduled to move in on May 1.
At the office, we have started preparing next season as bookings for summer are floating in. Many of our multi-day tours are already fully booked, but we still have spots available, in particular on the tours with many departures such as Tour 20 Kjölur, Tour 13 Golden Highlights of the South, and Tour 15 Volcano Hekla.
As for now, we are looking forward to welcoming participants of the Winter Riding Course, who will enjoy a nice week with us and our horses and visit one of the highlights of this season, the four gait competition of „Meistaradeild“. We still have a few spots available on the departures in February, March and April (either 3 or 4 days).
In October and November three of our popular winter riding courses took place at Eldhestar. Participants had a great time with lessons in the spacious, bright riding hall and during rides in the beautiful scenery surrounding our farm. Considering some valuable feedback and inquiries regarding riding courses we have decided to offer the Winter Riding Course not only as a 3-days program but also a longer version including 5 days.
This will enable us to create a new, interesting program for the Winter Riding Course, and we will also improve the short version. We would like to be flexible with regard to the schedule, to be able to create an individual program for each course depending on the season and number of participants.
The new program will include the following:
- Riding / training demonstration by a qualified trainer (attended Hólar University of Equine Sciences)
- Lesson in working horses from the ground
- Riding with a herd of free running horses
- Riding tour to a breeding farm in the neighborhood and breeder´s lecture
- Theoretical instruction and film
- Optional: Visit to the Horse Theater at Fákasel
- Optional: Excursion to Geysir, Gullfoss waterfall and Thingvellir national park instead of half a day riding on the last day
As an additional highlight, participants on all dates (except for March 23) will have the opportunity to see the best horses and riders competing on the Meistaradeild Champions League in Horse Sports. Another great horse event, the famous „Ice-Tölt“ competition, can be visited on March 26.
More information about the program and the price will be available in the beginning of January.
The dates for the Winter Riding Course 2016 are the following:
January 27-30 or January 27 – February 1
(28. January: Four gait competition, see Video Fourgait Meistaradeild)
February 10-13 or February 10-15
(11. February: „Gæðingafimi“ Icelandic dressage, see
Video Gæðingafimi Meistaradeild)
February 24-27 or February 25-29
(25. February: Tölt T2 competition, see Video Tölt T2 Meistaradeild)
March 9-12 or March 9-14
(10. March: Five gait competition, see Video Fivegait Meistaradeild)
March 23-26 or March 23-28
(26. March: Ice Tölt Competition, see Video Icetölt)
The dates for autumn 2016 will be announced next spring.
Please contact us if you would like further information or book the Winter Riding Course!