Wilderness Tours – Adventure for experienced riders
These tours offer an intimate experience with pristine nature in one of the last large wilderness areas of Europe. Experience the diversity of the Icelandic horse in its natural environment, far from civilization, and how Icelanders travelled in the old days with a herd of free running horses. Every rider gets the chance to try between 10 and 15 different horses, which develops riding skills.
- All Tours start with pick up from BSI bus terminal in Reykjavik between 17:30 and 18:00.
We pick up from hotels and guesthouses on request.
Transportation from / to Keflavík airport is not included, you can book the airport shuttle bus here.
- Included in the price:
* Transportation Reykjavik – Eldhestar – Reykjavík.
* Accommodation (first night at Guesthouse Eldhestar in 2-4 bed rooms with shared facilities, during the tour sleeping bag accommodation in farms, guesthouses, community centers and simple mountain huts with bunk beds, last night in a guesthouse in Reykjavík).
* Full board except for dinner on the last evening. Traditional Icelandic home cooking, for lunch we take sandwiches, snacks and water bottles with us in saddlebags or meet the cook´s car when possible. Special dietary requirements can be accommodated on request.
* Riding equipment (helmet and good rain gear), very comfortable saddles.
- Wilderness tours require good riding skills and stamina, they are physically challenging as we spend up to 8 hours in the saddle. We take a large herd of free running horses with us which makes riding at a certain speed necessary. We mostly ride “tölt”, the special, smooth gait of the Icelandic horse. Every rider is responsible for evaluating the own riding ability and physical condition. If you are not sure, please contact Eldhestar for booking.
- Please have also a look at our Important information and What to bring.
- Eldhestar ehf. reserves the right to alter the itineraries without prior notice if weather conditions or other events outside the control of Eldhestar prevent going on the original routes.
- You find the terms of bookings here and the price list here.